Sunday, April 6, 2008

Rain, rain go away....

Friday night we went to ECU for their first "Relay for Life" event. Jesse's department raised more money than any other group or department, which was neat. One of the grad students from their department died from cancer in December, so they made a big poster, made t-shirts, etc. in her honor.



The event location had to be changed last minute because of threatening weather. Therefore, it was held under the football stadium.


Sure enough, this is what it looked like ALL day Saturday...


According to the news, we had almost 3.5 inches of rain! It made for a great day to stay home though. I have not scrapbooked in awhile, so I decided to pull out all my stuff and catch up. I was happy to discover that it was time to scrap our honeymoon pictures! I bought a bunch of cute stuff along time ago to specifically use for our honeymoon pages so I was glad to finally use them. Jesse loves when I scrapbook because he thinks I get bored on the weekends. He tells me I need more hobbies. :)

Jesse's weekend wasn't as near as exciting. One word: taxes. Filing for 2 different states isn't fun, or so I've been told. Jesse takes care of all the finances, which is good because I wouldn't know where to begin. (I would drive my dad crazy because I would never balance my checkbook, but always "knew" how much I had in the bank :) To my defense though, I really did know). Anyway, last night at church our pastor started a new series on finances/money...how appropriate. He gave some startling facts about money and how Americans deal with their finances. It was a very good reminder and something I needed to hear. One of the things I've learned since being married is how important it is to be content...especially financially. I'm learning that I can't compare us to other couples because we all have different circumstances and lifestyles. This hasn't always been easy or fun, but important nonetheless. It has caused us to appreciate the little things in life and look forward to "normal" luxuries that most people don't think twice about.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I heard about an upcoming concert (one of our favorite Christian bands) in another town. I really wanted to go and talked to Jesse about it because with the tickets, gas, food, etc., it wasn't going to be exactly cheap. He said, "Well, what do you want to do?" and I told him I would like to go because we rarely go on "dates" and/or have time to do things like this. Before I even finished, he said "Ok then let's go. If you consider this a date, then we'll do it because you always get the short end of the stick with me being in school." What a gem :) So, a week from tonight we'll be singing our little hearts out to David Crowder Band. Yay!

On a completely different side note, this is what we saw last night outside our kitchen window, while making dinner...

I believe there are 5 of them. This is for you Dad :)
The trash is just an added bonus to the beauty outside our window!

2 comments:

TRUNNELL NEWS said...

Enjoy your date!

Anonymous said...

Aaron thinks I need more hobbies too. I used to be so bored, but not so much anymore:)