Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Graduate!

Here's my Graduate....


Jesse brought home his graduation robe, cap, and tassle (all from UNI) when we went home in April, as he had originally planned on walking at yesterday's ceremony (only to find he had to buy a whole new set as well as a purple "hood" which grad students have to wear). All things considered, Jesse decided that he did not want to attend the ceremony, so we had our own little celebration at home. :) I got off work early and surprised him by bringing home one of our favorite meals. I also ordered an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins...




Jesse had been requesting a massage before his half marathon next weekend so that will be his graduation present.


Jesse snapped some pre-ceremony photos to feel as though he participated. Doctoral and Grad students got to sit on the field while undergrads sat in the stands. It was ECU's 100th graduation ceremony, with over 3600 students graduating.


Thanks to everyone who sent Jesse a gradation card!! He was surprised when I had them all displayed on the kitchen counter last night. I got the mail every day this week and hid the cards from him. :) It worked out well because he usually gets the mail but since he's been staying late at school everyday I've beat him home each night in time to get the mail. His goal is to have his thesis defended by the end of June and finished by July 20 (the official deadline). Please pray for us in these next few stressful months!

Jess- I am SO proud of you and your hard work over these last 2 years. It has been fun to watch you truly enjoy what you do and excel at it! I'm excited to see where God leads us next...

Jesse would like to add...

Thank you ALL for your thoughtfulness and encouragement this week! Graduation has been the last thing on my mind as of late. Things feel just the opposite. Nonetheless, it was refreshing to at least PRETEND like I was all done and graduated :) Surprisingly, I enjoy working on my thesis more and more everyday and wish I had time to do more (never thought that would happen). Grad school and my thesis have been a great experience (with many challenges no doubt); a journey I will always remember and be thankful for, and one I do not regret. I do have to thank Stace, who helped put together my "fake graduation" :) but more importantly for helping me on every level and at every step of this process. From helping me look for grad schools before we were married, to allowing me to move her across the country away from her family, to working tirelessly week after week to provide the majority of our income, to taking care of the house and me day after day, and encouraging and challenging me at every up and down along the way. Without her, I would not be soon awaiting a graduation from graduate school at East Carolina University. And that's just what she's done for me on an academic level. God has truly blessed me with a WONDERFUL wife and has used this experience to grow us as a couple and individuals. I know it is no accident that God brought us to Greenville and I am just thankful that He gave me a wife to bring with because it would have been SO much harder without her! I love YOU Stacie Jo and I thank YOU for allowing me to drag you along on this two-year adventure of uncertainty. And it's only been two years. I can't wait for the rest...

[Jesse also requests you scroll to the "He's A Pirate" track (#22) on our playlist, in honor of his graduation :) It's only fitting that ECU is "Home of the Pirates" which Jesse will always be, both in spirit and now as an alum.]

4 comments:

Jenny Lowe said...

Congrats again to you Jesse. That was a really sweet thank you to Stacie. You're blessed to have each other.

Stephanie said...

So happy for you Jesse!! What a big accomplishment that is, no matter if your ceremony was "fake" or not!! We all love you and are proud of you :) And we're glad Stacie belongs to you too. Can't wait to see what God has in store for you guys in the near future!!

Jay & Leta Palmer said...

So proud of you both. :) So thankful that Jesse does have a wonderful wife (and supurb sister-in-law if I might add!), he chose very well. Love you guys and can't wait to see you this weekend! :)

Dave and Jen said...

Jesse Brass! I just saw this post! We love you Jess and are SO proud of you. These 2 years have gone by so quickly. We know that you and Stace both have made sacrifices to make this grad school "thing" work and we are so excited to see where God is going to plant you next. Saddle up!!

p.s. loved your thank you to stace. you both are very blessed.