Tuesday, November 11, 2008

About a week ago, I was able to help someone who really needed it. I was sitting at a table full of 5 and 6 year olds, helping them with their homework. I heard someone pounding on a door down the hall and didn't know why they were knocking when I knew the door was unlocked. I walked to the door and saw a woman's head peeking through. Not knowing if this was some friend or relative picking up a student, I opened the door. She was wet and cold, trying to keep her big dog from jumping on me. She proceeded to tell me that she had locked herself out of her apartment two hours ago and didn't have her cell phone, her keys, any money, etc. Her husband was working at the hospital until later in the evening and she had just moved to town earlier that week and knew no one. She walked to the police department, but they wouldn't let her use their phone and she didn't have any money to call collect. She then said, "I would give someone $20 if they would let me use a phone to call my husband." I told her I didn't want her money, but that she could use my phone, which happened to be in my pocket. She got a hold of her husband and explained the situation again, this time in tears. She thanked me many times and asked for my name. And then she was gone.

The next day I was sitting in the Preschool Director's office, working on the computer. I heard that same door open, but didn't turn around because people came in and out that door often. Then I heard a little whistle and turned around to find that same lady, although this time her hair was styled and her makeup was fresh. She handed me a card. I asked her how everything went and her husband eventually came home and unlocked the apartment. She got chocked up and said, "I've never moved anywhere in my life until last week. I was alone and afraid and you helped me. I prayed to God for hours and he answered my prayer. Thank you for helping me, Stacie." We hugged and she was off again.

I opened the envelope and inside was a sweet card, along with $20. I was so touched that she actually made an effort to find me and bring me a card. Anyone in a desperate situation could say, "I'll give you $20 for...." and then never see you again. I certainly wasn't expecting to see her again and honestly didn't want her money. I thought about her situation and how scared I would have been if we had just moved here and I had done the same thing.

I am usually VERY cautious about situations like this and tend not to trust strangers when they are asking for help. There are just too many crazy people in this world. However, my gut was telling me that this lady was being honest and really needed help. So, thank you, Shelia, for blessing me!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Cool story, Stace! I don't know what I'd do if I got locked out of my house - that would be terrible to not have a phone either! Anyways, your new background is very cute!

Stephanie said...

Good story, kind of made me want to cry for her! What is wrong with the police station for not letting her use their phone though??? What kind of "help" are they??

Anonymous said...

Great post Stacie.Loved the story. :) OH, and loved your background. ;) this is Leta btw, I can't remember my blogger name/password.