Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winter Wonderland

Well, the weather forecasters were correct! Snow did indeed fall in Virginia Beach all day Saturday. We were in the region that received anywhere from 5-8 inches. It was a little bizarre to look out the window and see palm trees with snow on them.





It was a very cozy Saturday at home. After breakfast we skyped with Ava, who was as busy and cute as could be! She showed us how well she can stand by herself. :) Maybe the next time we skype she'll be walking! After we told her goodbye, I decided to make an apple crisp because I had some apples I wanted to use and because it sounded good on such a cold winter day.


It did not disappoint! :)

We took a long nap in the afternoon, which was quite enjoyable. I don't even know the last time we took a nap together..?? I did some work on my blog background and am happy with the result. It's much better than the Christmas theme! There is still some things I would like to know how to change, but it'll do for now. We finished off some chili for supper and had a quiet evening. We found out that church was canceled for today, so we had another morning to sleep in! (And the Winter Jam concert we were going to attend tonight was postponed until March).

Jesse ventured out in the cold this morning and got us McDonald's for breakfast. Mmmmm, thanks honey. I love my sausage, egg and cheese mcmuffin!! I decided it was time to do some housework since I abandoned all chores yesterday. Dirty dishes, dust-bunnies and stinky laundry were all demanding my attention. I assigned Jesse to vacuum, since he enjoys it. :) I also got a few Valentine decorations out...







The most exciting part of the weekend, however, was the arrival of baby Nora. My best friend Emily gave birth to her first baby on Friday afternoon. We have been friends ever since we were little and although we have lived in different states since 10th grade, our friendship has remained strong.


Here we are in Charleston, SC last April. Em and Keith came to visit us for a week while we were living in North Carolina. A few months later I received a text message from her early one Saturday morning. It said, "call me asap." I had an idea she was going to tell me she was pregnant. I called her right away and she acted all nonchalant and said, "So how are you?" I could tell the minute I heard her voice she had some good news and sure enough, she was.

I had been waiting for the phone call from the hospital over the past week. She called me on Tuesday to tell me she was going to be induced on Thursday. I checked my phone constantly and thought about her all day. Finally on Friday afternoon, little Nora Paige arrived...


As I looked at pictures online, I couldn't help but get a little teary eyed at my friend, her husband and their brand new baby. It seems like yesterday we were riding our bikes around the neighborhood and talking about what boys we liked. How are we old enough to have kids of our own?! Time passes so quickly. I am so excited for them as they begin this journey of parenthood and I can't wait to meet Nora for the first time!

Finally, Jesse has started a new blog for himself! He created it yesterday and already has made two posts. Check it out here.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the beach background :) Nora is adorable, I saw some pictures of her on Tom's blog. Really cute! Glad you've had a cozy, restful weekend! I've got to go check out Jesse's blog :)