Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Here, there, everywhere!! Part 2

Let's see where I left off....So, the day my family left to go back home (Sunday, August 1st), we started packing our first boxes. Jesse and I headed back to work for the week and that weekend we worked hard core and had most of our stuff in boxes and ready to go. Jesse had taken the following week (August 9-13th) off for vacation months before because his parents were coming to visit us and Leta and Jay in Virginia. Our plans changed somewhat after Jesse was hired in Charleston and that week would be critical in finding a place to live. He was to start his new job on Monday, August 23 and we wanted to have a week to settle in and unpack. Therefore, our time line was extremely limited and every day was crucial.

I had been looking online for weeks for places to live and was so overwhelmed by it all. We both agreed we were done with living in apartments and we wanted to see places in person before we made any final decision. I saw a condo on Craigslist and emailed the realtor about it. He was extremely helpful and responded to every question and email within minutes. We told him we would be in town August 9-11th to look and we were praying that it would still be available during those few days. We set up a time to meet with him that Monday night, a few hours after we arrived in town.

Monday morning, we jumped in the car and met Jesse's parents and Leta a few hours later on the road. We were so glad and thankful they were coming with, so we could spend at least a few days with them. They had just driven all the way from Iowa a few days earlier and now they were driving down to South Carolina with us. Poor Leta was not feeling well, due to her pregnancy, and traveling couldn't have been very fun.

Anyway, we had our appointment scheduled for later that night, but other than that we only had a few other places we were interested in. I was oddly not too concerned about this, even though I probably should have been, being the worrier that I am. I just felt that this place was going to work out for us. We sent our application in the previous week because I wanted everything to be taken care of ahead of time, so we would know right away if it was ours or not. As we were driving down, we got a phone call saying our application was approved so that was a big relief!

That night, we all hopped in the van and headed to the condo. As we were driving through the neighborhood and trying to find our place, Jesse and I were speechless. It was so beautiful, nothing like we were expecting. We could possibly live here?! We met our realtor in the driveway and he showed us around for about an hour. We had seen pictures of the inside, but it was different seeing it in person and empty. We really liked it and were amazed by how much bigger it was than our previous apartments! We were in one of the bedrooms and Jesse whispered to me, "I don't feel like we even deserve to live here." :) I knew he approved.

So, the next morning we headed over to the property management office, signed the lease, paid the deposit and rent and it was ours! Just like that. God worked out all of the details. Again. It was SUCH a relief to finally have an address and not have to worry about looking for a place to live anymore. I still can't believe how easy it all was, when it could have been a disaster. We could have easily driven down, looked for 2 days and found nothing. Instead, He provided a place that was our first choice all along and with no complications. I'm so thankful for a God who cares about every detail of our lives.

Even better, we had the rest of the day to enjoy Charleston and show Jesse's family around our new town.



They quickly fell in love with the city, just like we did.



Wednesday morning, we left Charleston and headed back to Virginia. We left our car in our driveway (we've never had a driveway before!) and rode back in Jim and Deb's van. Another huge blessing to be able to leave a car there so I could ride in the moving truck with Jesse, while we towed our other car behind us.

Our new place!



Although it was short, we were so glad to be able to spend a few days with Jesse's family. We were so thankful for their help and willingness to spend more time on the road with us. Love you guys!


More to come....

0 comments: