Sunday, April 18, 2010

I love Spring but I hate pollen!

We had a wonderful time in Iowa over Easter and I will post about that soon. There are a lot of pictures and it overwhelms me right now. :) It was busy like usual...we celebrated Ava's 1st birthday, moved Jesse's parents into a new house, etc. But we loved it! More to come...

Spring has sprung in Virginia Beach and we are enjoying it...except for all of the pollen!! When we got to our car at the airport in Norfolk last Sunday, it was covered in pollen. We took our allergy pills right when we got home. I remembered this from Greenville and was hoping we would escape it. Wrong. Never did I see or even notice pollen in Iowa. The East Coast is a whole different story.

Pollen on the doorknob. Lovely.

****

When I got home from work Friday night, Jesse showed me a list of local seafood restaurants that some of his co-workers had recommended. He commented on how he was willing to try some seafood. Score! I'm always up for that! So we decided on "Rockafellers."

We ordered crab cake appetizers and they were delicious! I've recently discovered crab cakes and I LOVE them. Jesse also liked them (I was secretly hoping he wouldn't so I could eat them all). :) He ordered a fried flounder sandwich and I had mahi mahi. I was proud of him for not ordering chicken or bbq pork in a seafood place! :)

My mahi mahi was yummy yummy!! :)

We had a great view from our table too. The only downside to this place was the parking but the location, atmosphere and food were great! It was a fun little date and I'm sure we'll be back again.




It's weird going to places like this because it's in a different part of town that we've never been, so it feels like "vacation." It's easy to forget that we live so close to the ocean! Jesse reassures me that he WILL be going to the beach every weekend this summer. :)

****

Yesterday we went to a little garden center and bought some flowers/plants for our deck. We have very little knowledge/experience with "gardening" but both wanted something pretty for the deck. A girl in my class gave me a little tin bucket of mini pansies for Easter that needed to be re-potted and we had two other pots available. So we each picked out flowers that we liked for our own pots.

Jesse's pot...

My pots...
We get a lot of direct sunlight in the afternoon so hopefully these will survive, haha. We've had our eye on some outdoor chairs for awhile now so we went last night and bought them. Our deck now feels a little more "homey" and usable. We sat outside last night and drank some hot chocolate on our new chairs. :)




It's been a fun and productive weekend. I've been in a "Spring cleaning" mood and the warmer temperatures make Monday morning seem not quite so bad. :)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cute patio pictures and flowers! They should do well out there :) I'm amazed at seafood progress from Mr Jesse Brass!! Who is he?? Since when would he ever consider that??? Did he like it??

.Tom Kapanka said...

Hey, you two,
Thanks for dropping by (though I'm guessing it was Stacy since the note was about aparagus).
It was so much fun looking at these pictures, listening to great music, and imagining that great mahi mahi, and reading here. You hit all five senses!

The pollen is worse than ever up here, too. I normally don't have allergies but this year I've been sneezing like crazy on certain days (and being attacked by asparagus on others). Been seeing a lot of Keith and Em and Nora the past few weeks while their bathroom has been redone. It looks great and they'll probably be back to normal any day now, but it was nice spending extra time with them. Hope to see you guys sometime!